Dansk Kobenstyle Enamel Cookware has become a new infatuation for me these days. I had first admired my friend Ann's blue enamel baking pan for its simplicity of design, ease of use and beautiful form.

These early vintage pieces by Dansk International Designs have become modernist icons, finding their way into the collections of MOMA New York, The Louvre, and the Smithsonian Institute. Originally designed in the early 1960's, and in perpetual production until the 1980's.

The most clever design solution displayed in these items is the handle to the lid, which when hot can be simply lifted by inserting a spoon under the handle, where it rests snugly allowing you to safely open the hot dish with the utensil.

Dansk Kobenstyle Enamelware was originally manufactured by the Danish company Glud & Marstrand, but by 1966 had been transitioned to manufacture by a French supplier. The cookware is most often compared with French manufacturer Le Creuset, although lighter and more modern. The most sought by collectors are the Danish examples, exhibiting Dansk's original "Four Ducks" logo.  The initials "IHQ" are the mark of Designer Jens Quistgaard


Jens Harald Quistgaard (April 23, 1919 – January 4, 2008) was the Danish Industrial Designer who with entrepreneur Ted Nierenberg founded Dansk International Designs. He is known for his imaginative use of functional materials like exotic woods, stainless steel, and enamelware. 


Jens Quistgaard has been awarded for his designs by such credible organizations as the Lunning Prize in 1954 and won 6 prizes at the Milan Triennial.

To Clean Dansk Enamel Kobenstyle Cookware like new -

-Boil a large stock pot, large enough to submerge the piece of cookware to clean in boiling water.
-Add 3-5 Tablespoons of Baking Soda to the water and allow the cookware to sit submerged in the -boiling solution for 10 + minuets.
-Next, remove carefully from boiling pot and wash in hot soapy water and scour with a nylon (not metal) scouring sponge.
-Rub with white vinegar to restore finish to the enamel after the item has cooled.

Trust me, I have tried many things to clean Dansk Kobenstyle Cookware, and this handy trick from Dansk's website had my vintage pans looking like new quickly. Enjoy!

19 Response to "Vintage Dansk Kobenstyle Enamel Cookware Designed By Jens Quistgaard."

  1. Nina B says:

    I have a Dansk Kobensyle pan.. (w/out lid) wok style (logo- DANSK DESIGNS FRANCH IHQ C that I received as a wedding gift in 1974. I have used this repeatedly throughout the years.. and it still looks like new.. I note with interest the cleaning instructions above.. I have always just cleaned with a nylon sponge and soapy water.. though just recently had to use sprinkled baking soda with my nylon scrubbee to restore after a frying episode. I use this for everything from mixing large salads and bread dough... to vegetables, fried rice, meat etc. LOVE IT.. wish I could get another like it for my daughter who will be getting married within the next few years.. though compared to Le Creuset - not trusting that would perform anywhere near as well... and last as long.. I plan on using for many more years... (another 36 at least!) N.B.

  2. Lindsay says:

    I have been obsessed with these pieces ever since I found some in a vintage shop a few months ago. I didn't buy them but lamented about it to my father-in-law who secretly went back and bought them for me as an anniversary gift! So thrilled! I'm reading up to learn more about care as the pieces I received are in mint condition and I'd like to keep them as such. Just wondering - do you use yours on the stovetop and in the oven? Can you use your pots for dutch oven recipes? I keep reading about the comparisons to Le Creuset and have considered buying one for years but now that I have these I'm hoping they'll do the trick. Would love any advice you may have. Thanks for a great article!

  3. I use mine in both the oven and on the stove. The have held up great! Thanks Lindsay!

  4. Any idea where I can find a replacement glass for my percolator?

  5. Jackson says:

    Glass-ceramic - this ceramic is utilized in altering items that has the very best buildings of both glass and ceramic pots and pans. Since of it's near-zero co-efficiency to thermal growth, it is immune to thermal shock. Frigidaire Induction Cooktop

  6. Anonymous says:

    Can you use these pn a cooktop range? The range says you can put anything on it but cast iron. I have the frying pan from this set above.

  7. Unknown says:

    This short article posted only at the web site is truly good.
    best ceramic cookware

  8. Anonymous says:

    I hope this thread is still active. I grew up with these in my mothers kitchen in the 60's and 70's in yellow and my mom still has them and uses regularly. I just picked up 2 pieces at a thrift shop in black. The outside is somewhat dull, as if a white film on it. Any advice for cleaning and shining? Thanks!

  9. Excited words written in this blog helped me to improve my aptitudes and helped me to know how I can help myself all alone. I am truly happy to come at this stage. Enamel Signs Made on Demand

  10. I just purchased a blue 13.5” paella pan on ebay. The photo showed a clean white, shines inside, no chips. I was so excited! Not so anymore. The inside is chalky and dull. It must have been wet in the ebay photo because even coating it with oil doesn’t shine it up. It’s still blotchy. Is there any way to re-season the enamel?

  11. I just llleaned the interior of a teapot..it iwas not Danskm but Copco. . use a 50/50 ratio of white vinegar and water. Bring it to a boil. turn off the heat and let it sit for an hour or so. it was Amazing how it worked.
    !

  12. I just llleaned the interior of a teapot..it iwas not Danskm but Copco. . use a 50/50 ratio of white vinegar and water. Bring it to a boil. turn off the heat and let it sit for an hour or so. it was Amazing how it worked.
    !

  13. Unknown says:

    Can someone provide pro tips on how to prepare cheese and/or chocolate fondue in the Kobenstyle fondue pot?

  14. Does anyone know where to buy a replacement handle for my Copco vitage tea kettle. It was stored in the oven ehich preheated before I realized the kettle was in there. the teak handle and knob were destroyed I have used a different knob but cannot find a any kind of handle. It was my Mothers teapot and I had cleaned it so well! alas!! still trying to keep it. Her Dansk piece cleaned up beautifully and then I tried to make it perfect...know I have black in the bottom due to water boiling dry.. would appreciate any hints. thanks

  15. I meant to address this to anyone

  16. Nice blog, great information for sure, Best kitchenware store offers high quality stainless steel kitchen utensils at low cost. Online order for stainless steel kitchen utensils.
    ekco kitchen utensils

  17. Unknown says:

    The enamel in one dansk pot has lost it's shine. I have always assumed the finished was damaged from my methods of cleaning. Any hope here?

  18. Dori says:

    Mine was headed for the thrift store. Tried the suggestion above and 90% came off!!

  19. Unknown says:

    thank you!

Post a Comment